Monday, March 12, 2012

Riding Clean

Top:Standards & Practices/ Leather Pants: St. John/ Vintage Leather Box Bag, Necklace & Glass Bead Earrings:The Vutique/ Shoes:Badgley Mischka



Thursday night – the new Friday – and the premier of the Art Institute’s annual fashion show hosted by Neiman Marcus.  Now Seattle is no New York, far from LA, although we do share a similar west coast mentality.  Still California is another world to a Washingtonian, (although it'd be an easy transition).  So you can imagine the intrigue surrounding an event hosted by Neiman Marcus (a major player on the fashion forefront here in the emerald city).  Think of Neiman’s as our Bergdorf’s. 

The venue, Sodo Show box, is a prime location.  Open floor plan with a full bar and lounge area in separate quarters – Nas played here a couple summers ago so I’m expecting something entertaining.  Walk in, and am kindly led to my seat.  I’m unusually early and take the time to acquaint myself with the space and the life buzzing through it.  Clean setup and beautiful preparation.  Lights dim, the dj builds the momentum, and the hosts appear.  I’m anticipating the show, but they provide genuine comedic relief and I appreciate a good chuckle. 

Following the hosts exit is the introduction of the first designer.  Theatrical opening: glamour grunge. I f88k with his work.  Customary, but it evolves, model, by model, by model.  The looks coming down are appetizing, some more than others.  The Art Institute of Seattle packs a lot of talent, I’m impressed.  The evening wear portion took me by surprise, think couture prom – although a certain houndstooth tweed evening dressing could translate very well in a couture Chanel collection!  The models do their final walk and the applause sound.  I stand and join in!  I understand that this is quite an achievement for these burgeoning artists and am feeding off the high that I know they have at this very moment.  It’s emanating off of them, infecting the entire space.  As soon as everyone’s off the stage the audience prepares to depart, but I stay, sit and enjoy.  The shows still going on and I’m just so happy to be there!  xoxo

Thank you to everyone at the Art Institute for having me.
PS: Yes, I dyed my hair, it was time for the change!  Working my way up to platinum.  

No comments:

Post a Comment