Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Amaluna Seattle


They came, we saw, they conquered! The critically acclaimed Cirque du Soleil, Amaluna show set up shop here in the Emerald City, Redmond’s Marymoor Park to be exact, and I had the lovely pleasure of witnessing the show with my familia Saturday the 23rd. The performance was so moving I just about shed a tear. I was already emotional from the mushy dinner I experienced prior to the show with my sister and mum; add a cocktail or 2, hypnotic body contortionists, cello seduced melodies, and you’re just asking for the droplets to join in.


Seafood Penne at Kirkland’s Top Shelf Broiler

What to Expect


Broadway mastermind and Tony-award winning, Diane Paulus is the genius behind the Cirque du SoleilAmaluna” show. It combines several Shakespearean favorites, like “The Tempest,” “Romeo and Juliet,” and “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” to tell the story of 2 lovers torn apart by disagreeing family backgrounds. Lover 1, and soon to be Queen Miranda falls in love with the incredibly chiseled young sailor, Romeo – lover 2, who is ironically stranded on Miranda’s home island after her mother, Queen Propsera summons a mighty storm. Now Miranda is no ordinary Princess, chick appeared to be a double jointed gymnast capable of performing the most majestic tricks in a glass water bowl, while her Romeo, eager to rescue her from her overly uptight family, effortlessly glided up an aerial rope using only his 2 arms and some insane upper body strength. Of course there were other magical performances, like that of the incandescent Moon Queen who worked the hell out of a suspended hula hoop, the Amazon gymnasts and their Amazonian boyfriends, the twirlers, cyclists, dancers, and uuuuhhhh, you just have to go see it, my lack of Cirque du Soleil type verbage is not doing me justice! It’ll be playing until March 24th. If your sense of imagination has likened itself to a dull blade, I highly suggest seeing the show for a nice sharpening.



Vintage Rhinestone Necklace 


Pulling off Casual Elegance
 
Because I was indeed attending a “circus” of sorts, I wanted to dress comfortably yet elegant. Casual and comfort are 2 of my favorite words when it comes to style, and I wanted my wardrobe for the show to be as unfettered as possible. That meant one of 2 things: jersey knit fabric and no heels. I opted for both. If ever you want to appear elegant and casual, pair a fitted maxi skirt or pencil skirt with a super casual top: like a t-shirt, button down, or even a fitted crewneck. Use your jewelry to hype up the glamour. I'm talking chunky bijoux bling - the Man Repeller's Leandra Medine best epitomizes this. I sported this lovely vintage, double strand pink rhinestone necklace and equally blingy earrings to up the elegance. If you choose a maxi, try flats, kitten heels, or sandals with the look instead of heels; I threw on my cowboy boots, they never fail me.


Beloved Versace Handbag 
 

Steak Dinner at Kirkland’s Top Shelf Broiler   


Steak Lovers Delight

As stated earlier, my sister, mum, and I had dinner prior to the show at Top Shelf Broiler in downtown Kirkland. It has 2 separate entrances, 1 for their lounge which houses a live DJ Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays after 10pm, and 1 for their dining room. We randomly discovered the spot while cruising through Kirkland for a restaurant that had “that something different” feel. There was a special party being held next door at the restaurant's lounge, so we were the only ones in the dining room which was nice. We watched the sun set off the Kirkland beach from our window while being serenaded by a pianist specializing in Louie Armstrong hits. Although seafood seems to be their specialty, they do serve other dishes, including the most succulent steaks. I ordered the Seafood Penne and my sister, the steak. Despite being incredibly delicious, my penne was no match to her steak and annoyance quickly ensued after I requested a 3rd bite. All and all great find. Warm ambiance and service, and good eats.

Happy new day. Meow.

1 comment:

  1. That really was the best steak I had ever had. I will be revisiting Top Shelf Broiler.

    Amaluna was amazing! Anyone looking to go should look for discounted tickets at Goldstar.com

    ReplyDelete